Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Brilliant Sunsets


Last night we had a fantastic sunset. My husband and I must have stared at the sky for over 30 minutes as interesting cloud shapes drifted by with colors changing and intensifying. Turquoise, orange, purple, magenta, pink. It's certainly not the first time I've seen such a breath-taking sunset (or sunrise), but every time, it feels like the first time. It's as if I'm looking at it through the eyes of a young child who is easily marveled even about the small things in life, and who is especially whisked away by great things. 





I know that the Author of Creation made such beautiful things for us. What a great reminder that as the entire sky, from horizon to horizon, can turn brilliant colors, so does our God richly bless us in all corners of our life! And how lucky are we that He shows His majesty and love to us through His creation!

But perhaps the most stunning fact of all is that, no matter how beautiful a sunset is, no matter how beautiful nature is, Heaven is so much greater. The things of this earth pale in comparison to the glory of Heaven! For as much as I love to bask in the brilliant colors of a sunset, I know that the joy of basking in the Father's glory will be infinitely better.

“What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard,
and what has not entered the human heart,
what God has prepared for those who love him,”
1 Corinthians 2:9

When nature takes my breath away, I have to remind myself that this is nothing compared to what awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment