Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A.C.T.S.

It's easy to fall into a prayer rut. I know it happened to me a few months ago. I got out of my prayer routine and then ever since then, it's been hard to get back into it. To compound the problem, I found myself with significantly less quiet time with my new little bundle of joy. Recently, I have only managed to "make time" to pray before I fall asleep. I know that my time is limited, so I say my prayer intentions quickly before falling asleep. But I wasn't "getting" anything out of praying like this. I certainly don't feel closer to God or like I was using my time wisely. While listening to Relevant Radio last week, a priest was talking about prayer and he said something that resounded so loudly with me, it about knocked me over!

To paraphrase, basically what I have been doing was being a lousy friend and child of God. I was treating God more like an ATM rather than my Lord. I found prayer somewhat boring and was left wondering, "How on earth do people spend hours in prayer every day?" But I wasn't "praying right" by solely coming to God with my petitions and then leaving it at that. Thankfully, this priest gave an acronym that will stick with me about "how" to pray, and in what order:

A - Adoration
C - Contrition
T - Thanksgiving
S - Supplication
 
See where I was going wrong? I was starting from the bottom and then stopping! I had no words of praise for my Creator! No sorrow in my heart for my day's failings! Rarely did I even give Him a "thank you." I'm humbled to say that I was selfish and lousy, but so grateful for some guidance.
 
Another priest later that day (the Lord must have been trying to reach out to me...) reminded me of the obvious, well-known fact that I was born with two ears and one mouth. That's how I need to pray, as well, to listen twice as much as I speak. This may not work for me as I'm falling asleep, but I certainly keep this in mind throughout the day.
 
I have been using the A.C.T.S. method for a few days now and I'm ashamed that I never tried this sooner! Spending time simply adoring my Lord--well, I can't explain how good that feels and how I'm growing in love. Then, examining my conscience at the end of the day has made me more sensitive to sin. I feel more determined to correct my ways rather than continue on day after day, numbing myself to the pains I'm inflicting on His Sacred Heart. Then, really, even the secular world realizes the importance of having a grateful heart. Finally, if I'm still awake, I can come to the Lord with my prayer requests. If I don't even make it to that point, I am at peace knowing that my Guardian Angel can finish my prayers and that the Holy Spirit knows the concerns and requests of my soul.

I didn't grow up with a strong prayer life, so I feel like I'm still working on building a solid foundation of prayer. I still feel like a "newbie," but learning about A.C.T.S. has helped me. I needed some help, but I'm learning to love prayer. I hope someone else can find this helpful and learn to love it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment